Mabinogi World Wiki is brought to you by Coty C., 808idiotz, our other patrons, and contributors like you!!
Want to make the wiki better? Contribute towards getting larger projects done on our Patreon!
Proficiency is a numerical value on an item that shows how long the item has been used in the current state. It is needed in order to upgrade weapons, armor/clothing, or shields. Proficiency does not reset when the item is transferred to a different player, and it only resets when the item has been upgraded/modified by a blacksmith.
Proficiency is shown as XX(xx.x%) in game. To evaluate the total proficiency of an item (normally requested by players), this can be simply interpreted as [XX.xxx]%, where [100.100]% or 100(100.0%) is the maximum proficiency that can be achieved on an item. When the number in the parenthesis reaches +0(100.0%) the digit outside will go up by one and will automatically be +1(0.0%).
To gain proficiency from a monster, the monster in question must be ranked as Weak or higher; Weakest monsters will not yield any proficiency for weapons.
- Weapons earn proficiency through each hit.
- However, if the player is dual wielding and only hits the target once rather than twice (ie: on the final blow or attacking a target using Defense), only the weapon in the right hand slot will gain proficiency. 
- If a player is Dual Wielding and using normal attacks, the weapon in the right hand slot will gain slightly more proficiency than the one on the left.
- Armor/clothing earn proficiency through the wearer being hit and from simply being worn.
- When wearing the armor/clothing, it will gain proficiency every five real time minutes.
- For gaining proficiency for armor, wearing other equipment may prevent the armor from getting proficiency. This includes equipment such as Headgear, Gloves, Footwear, Shields and Robes.
- Shields earn proficiency through successfully defended attacks, as well as from simply being worn.
- When the shield is in an active equipment slot, it will gain proficiency every 5 real time minutes.
- When an attack is defended with the Defense skill and a shield is equipped, it will gain proficiency.
- A shield may randomly gain proficiency if it is in an active equipment slot and the user is hit. This chance is dependent on how many other armor items are being worn (any equipment slot excluding weapons)
- Shields also gain proficiency (and lose durability) by attacking with the Charge skill, similar to weapons.
- Gathering Tools earn proficiency through use of the item through Life skills (e.g., gathering wool, wood, etc.).
Equipment Proficiency Chart
- Defend (%) is for shields only.
- Only gathering tools gain the full gathering proficiency. For example, a Gathering Knife gets the full gathering proficiency when shearing a sheep but using a sword will only get a fraction of that (this is the numbers shown in the parentheses).
Thursday Total Proficiency Chart
Please note that this chart only applies on Thursdays. Template:Proficiency
Proficiency training tips
- Wands gain proficiency from magic as well as combat.
- If using a wand, healing is the spell most easily castable.
- Instruments can also be used as a melee weapon to train proficiency.
- For Shields, you would hit something ONCE and then use Defense and walk back. After the mob has hit you, you can load defense and walk away from the mob.
- In addition, CP classes do not affect proficiency gained for shields. (This means that all monsters will give Defend (Proficiency) %.)
- A simple trick to get one more hit on monsters is to create a one person party and change the finish rule to "Anyone in the party".
- Enchantments that lower CP may be useful in training proficiency.
- When 2 arrows are fired with an Elf the weapon gains proficiency for both arrows.
- ie., if an age 25 Elf hits a monster twice with one attack, he/she will gain 10.8 proficiency rather than 5.4.
- When in a dungeon, you gain full proficiency, except from monsters labeled Weakest.
- When dual wielding two identical weapons, the weapon in the left hand seems to gain proficiency slightly faster than the one in the right.
- Hitting more than one monster at once will result in the proficiency of only one hit.
- You will gain proficiency regardless of the song difficulty when playing. In fact, you get the 0.3 or 0.6 proficiency as soon as you start. Therefore you can alternate between the skill hotkey and your 'cancel skill' hotkey. to quickly raise the proficiency on your instrument. You do not need to finish playing the song to accumulate the points.
- You will receive proficiency as if it were a melee weapon which can be much faster than alternating the buttons for play/stop playing. It also uses up less durability.