Mabinogi World Wiki is brought to you by Coty C., 808idiotz, our other patrons, and contributors like you!!
Want to make the wiki better? Contribute towards getting larger projects done on our Patreon!

S-Type and R-Type Comparison (One Handed Sword)

Jump to: navigation, search

So as I was preparing for G13, I was numbercrunching involving both types, and saw that S-Type weapons seem to come on top always (well with 1-handed weapons anyways). If anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, but it would seem that S-Types would be much better on swords. Data:

  • This data assumes Rank 1 Critical Hit on all data and Smash on the last row. It also assumes Critical Hit is activated.
  • Formula I used (assumes no defence and either maximum or minimum, may be incorrect) ( ( Normal Damage + S-Type Damage Bonus ) * 5 ) * ( 250% + R-Type Critical Bonus (In %) )
    • The Bonus is only for one or the other. If smash is not used, change 5 in the first part to 1.
  • No upgrades of either type has 42-125 with 2.5 Critical Modifier
  • 3 Upgrades on R-Type has 42-125 Damage with 2.68 Critical Modifier, S-Type has 48-138 Damage with 2.5 Critical Modifier
  • 6 Upgrades on R-Type has 42-125 Damage with 2.92 Critical Modifier, S-Type has 57-156 Damage with 2.5 Critical Modifier
  • Data is rounded up to the nearest Whole number.
R-Type S-Type
3 Upgrades, Normal Hit 113-335 120-345
6 Upgrades, Normal Hit 123-365 143-390
6 Upgrades, Smash 613-1825 713-1950

In Conclusion, S-Type weapons seem to do more damage, both inside and outside of critical hits. If anyone wants to point out a mistake in my data, feel free to let me know.

Marthian13:37, 1 January 2011

If I had 300 base max damage and used a 75 damage broad sword +6S would be 401 Damage and 1002 critical damage (max). +6R would be 375 base max damage and 1095 base critical damage. Critical only becomes better as the base damage becomes extremely high, and R type only ends up being a lot better on 2 handers and bows.

Do note that only certain weapons can receive the special upgrade in the first place.

Tellos14:02, 1 January 2011

Ok thanks for that information, although I don't really see a lot of people with THAT high of max damage unless their in trans, using ego 2h/bow+high dex. I am not really aware of only certain weapons can get the special upgrade. Also, I was using a broadsword for my information (upgraded on highest critical though). It might be useful if we could maybe make a graph outlining how much each Type affects damage as you do more damage, so we could see where they even up and then where the other type becomes better

Marthian14:38, 1 January 2011

Players with capped str using an Oblivion set have 300 base damage. Players with capped dex and the same set have about 400 base.

Tellos14:44, 1 January 2011

Can you tell me what this oblivion set is?

Marthian09:31, 17 January 2011

Its an enchant set that gives ~120 max.

Tellos10:37, 17 January 2011

probably not going to tell me, but what exactly is the enchants?

Marthian19:19, 19 January 2011

Oblivion. I thought that'd be obvious. r9 prefix with +10 max that you spam on everything except the glove.

Tellos08:22, 20 January 2011

I don't see this Oblivion enchant anywhere.

Marthian14:11, 20 January 2011
Edited by 2 users.
Last edit: 19:38, 3 September 2012

Here you go. Above the break even point, R does more damage on average.

S/R Break Even Points (Max Before Special Upgrade)

1 Handed Axes 1 Handed Weapons 2 Handed Weapons Dual Wield (Single Hit Base)
1 360 346 369 346
2 321 327 364 327
3 313 323 362 323
4 315 328 355 328
5 316 330 352 330
6 316 331 349 331
Inemnitable03:09, 13 January 2011

thank you for the chart. However, remember that you are not guaranteed a critical hit, while the min and max damage increase you are guaranteed. It depends on your critical chance, so those with low critical might be better off with S type whilst those with high critical could go with R type

Marthian10:52, 29 January 2011

This chart assumes a 30% critical rate, and incorporates that rate into the calculation of average damage.

Inemnitable00:34, 30 January 2011

Does it incorporate the R effect stacking in dual wield?

Tellos00:38, 30 January 2011

Yes, that's why I made a Dual Wield (Single Hit Base) column. If R effect didn't stack, the numbers in that column would be twice as high.

Inemnitable00:53, 30 January 2011

I know it assumes 30% chance, but some monsters can really make it hard to do critical hits on.

Marthian18:07, 10 February 2011

Certain skills ignore protection for calculating crit, though.

Inemnitable21:38, 10 February 2011

yeah I forgot. still I guess it just depends on playstyle. If I had better str and enchants, I'd probably change my mind. But even all that aside, as I said before, the increased damage from S Type is guaranteed, while the bigger increase from R Type occurs during criticals, which still have a ~30% chance of occuring on max crit.

Marthian22:08, 10 February 2011

Yeah regardless of which one does more damage during a crit, it's still, at max, a 30% chance....and w/o a crit the S type obviously does more damage. So 70% of the time it does more damage and when you DO get a crit with it, it's not a lot lower than an R type.

DANTE20XX11:15, 9 July 2012

Really old thread, but with S, you may be doing more damage passively, but with R, you're doing % more damage. S5 vs R5 on let's say a 2h weapon.

+39 max vs +50% damage. Chances are, the 50% damage is a hell of a lot more than just the +39 max.


Yeah but again...30% of the time if that. I don't know how that's debatable or why you replied to it :)

DANTE20XX18:51, 9 July 2012