Mabinogi World Wiki:Wiki Server News
This page describes maintenance events on the Wiki server. This covers information and issues regarding the Mabinogi World server.
NOTE: All times are expressed in 24-hour notation and are in PST.
The Mabinogi World Wiki is hosted on Linode. We are funded by user contributions on our Patreon. We run the MediaWiki wiki software along with the PHP interpreter, memory cache software memcached, NGINX, and MariaDB. The server runs Canonical Ltd's Ubuntu Linux Server.
Server is fully operational and working properly. I am not tracking any system-wide issues at this time.
Last revised: 23:08, 3 May 2011 (UTC)
Supplemental: The operating system was upgraded to Ubuntu 11.04 64-bit (codenamed "Natty Narwhal") overnight on May 3, 2011. The upgrade went completely without a hitch.
May 10, 2012
- With the release of Precise Pangolin, Ubuntu's latest Long Term Support (LTS) release, this will be the new install target. I may have to upgrade to Oneiric Ocelot on the way to Precise. Will evaluate and announce any outages. More info as it makes itself available.
July 1, 2011
- There are no outstanding show-stopping issues being tracked at this time. Presently monitoring system stability since migrating all filesystems from XFS to ext4fs. The main difference is not only am I not receiving filesystem-specific hang messages as I had with XFS but the server load is no longer running away. The only issue I'm observing presently is processor utilization since having migrated to ext4fs. The machine is otherwise fully stable at this time.
Sometime during Q2 2012
- I will be upgrading the operating system to Ubuntu 12.04, codenamed "Precise Pangolin". Given the fact I now live some 200 miles from the server, this could be a tricky proposition. I will be scheduling a maintenance event in the meantime prior to that upgrade to allow for remote console and media access from my Sacramento location so I can still perform the upgrade, even if the server ends up requiring console and/or media access. During this process, I will have to upgrade to Oneiric Ocelot. I will likely run the server with this release for a short time to make sure the server remains stable.
- I am considering options for augmenting the server's MediaWiki installation so when I upgrade one wiki installation, I can effectively upgrade all of them on the same machine with a given version of the software in one action. This may involve downtime, but it remains to be seen how much if any this will entail. More to come.
- Will be upgrading MediaWiki to
1.17.01.18.x. Will need to determine beforehand how much work this will entail. More soon.
July 2, 2011
- Unfortunately, the reprieve I saw would not last. This time, a kernel-bound LVM2 process caused all other processes subsequent to it to backlog, causing the machine to enter into a high-swap-use state and stay there, driving the load very high, up to about 800+. To assist in dealing with memory spurt usage, I have adjusted the point at which point it starts using swap. Hopefully, this will help with sudden memory use spikes. It appears the filesystem migration to stave this issue off was for naught, but some of the features of ext4fs made it desirable to migrate anyway, including checksummed journals. As such, the filesystem change will remain at present.
July 25. 2011
- Rebooted the server to update the kernel to fix a serious problem.
August 3, 2011
Ninja update: Around the end of May or beginning of June, I added IPv6 support to the server and the site as a test for World IPv6 Day. The site continues to run with this support. Are you on an IPv6-capable connection? Give it a go! Please let us know of any issues.Rescinded for the time being due to below.
September 21, 2011
- On Labor Day (September 5, 2011), the server had to be relocated very suddenly, giving me literally no notice to make a smooth transition for web to take place. However, thanks to Odin, at least word was gotten out about the state of the wiki. The server is now back at its original location in the datacenter in the northern part of the city of Fresno. Also, due to these circumstances, I have had to remove IPv6 support from the site. It should come back soonish, but there is no set timetable just yet. More information as it becomes available.
- Removed GeoIP-based bans on the site in response to recent correspondence on the matter and given recent countermeasures enacted. More information can be found here.
September 30, 2011
- On September 27, 2011, the server had to go down for about three hours due to a power bus upgrade in the cage where it is colocated. Original ETR was approximately half an hour but ended up being longer than that. However, I only had one hour's worth of notice. Despite the fact I had no easy way of getting the word out, I managed to shut the server down gracefully before the maintenance event began. The server now sits on a UPS which will supply power until a diesel generator comes online should any outage last longer than a few minutes.
Events prior to those listed here
Please visit this page for any events prior to anything listed here.
Please report any issues you observe with this server to any administrator or Kadalyn immediately.
When reporting the issue, please give as thorough an explanation as you can so I can determine the nature of the problem.
Since the forums and the wikis are on the same machine, you may wish to join the Discord so that you can report trouble in the event of a server or connectivity outage.