Mabinogi World Wiki is brought to you by Coty C., 808idiotz, our other patrons, and contributors like you!!
Want to make the wiki better? Contribute towards getting larger projects done on our Patreon!
Revisiting some old ideas
I was not aware they were working on it. I like her concept, but I do have some criticism to offer:
- What of skills that overlap two talents, such as Magic Mastery and Shockwave, which occupy both talents, yet are currently listed as just under Mage. (Speaking of which, Shockwave is currently listed as Lightning when it should be Support like Blaze is.)
- In addition to the above, most if not all hero skills are in regular talents. For example, all three Diva skills get 2x training from the Music talent.
- I personally would like links to the other skill tab types. Perhaps making all tabs' navigations on all pages, but make them all collapsed except for the type that is currently important.
- I don't think we should use both tab type and talent type, that will cause issues. In particular in the example of Lexis's NavBox, First Aid ends up in the Magic Skills box. . . But what I'm moreso concerned about is the Life Skills box, it would include way too many talents with overlapping skills in some like Production Mastery. It will get way too messy if we use both Talents and Skill Tabs. I'd rather use one or the other.
- Just because some devices cannot show images doesn't mean we shouldn't use them. There could be reasons to not use them, but I don't see this as one of them particularly because nothing else on the wiki is tailored to be perfect for mobiles. Besides, it should show up as text if not an image, right? I'm not sure on that.
- Images are far easier to recognize than words in my opinion.
B is absurdly slow to load, and a sprite map would be annoying to keep up to date. B also is super easy to bug out just by having your mouse in the menu area while scrolling through, at least on my current workstation.
Images might be easier to recognize, but they aren't necessarily easier to remember. I'm pretty sure people think "blacksmithing", not "that skill with the hammer making a bang on the anvil" (implying I also think the icons on A aren't very useful). Images are not browser searchable. At the very least, the alt text must be changed on images to be more navigation friendly for screen readers. B is not easy to read, because you have to continually move and hover to actually have anything to read. I would also say "click this icon for the page on ___" adds no value. Maybe a skill summary would be nicer there, but also much more difficult.
General critique: I think it would be better if the skill categories were linked.
Sprite maps wouldn't be hard to keep up to date. At the moment, the game already has them as spritemaps, gui_icon_skill_00, 01, 02, and 03. 00, 01, and 02 will never be updated unless they redraw icons again like they did in G17 (which is unlikely). 03 would be the only one that would be needed to be updated. At this rate, NX is releasing skills once or twice a year and it is a simple task to data mine and reduce the resolution of the one image.
The thing that concerns me is how do I incorporate a spritemap into wiki syntax? My knowledge of CSS is already limited. Should that be possible, it will load a LOT faster. (That won't change how some people feel about images though. And personally, I think "Blacksmithing" will still be really easy to find given being in alphabetical order.)